RSS

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fall is on its way

Yes, it is August. It has been two months since I have blogged anything (well, what is in my head doesn't count because you can't read that...not that you'd want to because it's kinda messy in there. Kinda like my house. But I digress...)

Things have been busy around here. My mother has been living with me and, over time, she has gotten more and more difficult, unhappy and demanding. She wanted to move into a senior citizen apartment complex and we'd found one she really liked. She was on the waiting list for months and months. She was pushing me to call and find out where she was going to get to the top of the list. Finally, she did. Yay!!! She would be happier. She'd have her own place. It was close to my work and closer to where my brother lives. This would work!

Well, except it didn't. I ended up on empty. Dealing with my mother and her issues and Bird and her issues and work had used me up. There were no reserves left. I was in trouble at work for all the time I'd missed. My brother and sister in law took over the doctor visits for my mother. No one could take over the doctor visits for Bird. I had to go on them. We had the call, an apartment was ready.

But my mother was deteriorating. She met me outside every day when I came home from work, ranting at me that she couldn't stand being alone all day. Bird was horrible. I was horrible. Every day. She called Bird nasty names. Bird gave up even trying to be nice. Social interactions are sometimes pretty difficult for Turner Syndrome girls and she was ill-equipped to deal with the deteriorating situation.

We made plans to move her. Another brother and his son came down to help. We moved all of her furniture. She was mean and nasty the whole time. Her memory was deteriorating worse and worse but we had to let her try. When it came time to move her, she wanted to know where her furniture was. When we got to the apartments, she refused to leave the car because her dog couldn't move out there yet. She was bizarre, unreasonable. We ended up taking her to the emergency room for a psych evaluation. She was talking about hurting herself, running away and living on the street, all kinds of bizarre things. That was when a doctor mentioned the word Alzheimer's in connection to my mother.

She finally went into the apartment. We hoped that, with support, she could live there for a time. She quit eating. My brother was over there the majority of every day. She had a sinus infection and that didn't help things. I went over during lunch to cook for her. She wouldn't eat. She verbally abused all of us, saying nasty and horrible things. Finally, the next week, I was able to take the dog out to her. The dog is a rescue dog and has trust issues. She's always been very attached to my mother. At home, without my mother there, she was a different dog...she didn't bark as much. She wasn't as jumpy and touchy. We realized she was protecting my mother.

Anyway, I took the dog out at the earliest opportunity. She had to be seen by the staff and approved before she moved in and since the dog knew me, I was the one who needed to take her. We moved my mother July 17th. I took the dog on the 26th. My brother had taken my mother to the doctor on the previous Thursday. The day after the dog went to stay with her, my mother refused to get out of bed. Her hand was shaking and she was lethargic, getting unsteady on her feet. She was admitted to the hospital.

They spent days doing tests. We would visit and moments after we left, she would forget we had been there. Per the doctor, we had to admit her to a skilled nursing facility.

Obviously, she wasn't happy. She accused me of "kicking her out". She accused my brother of stealing from her. She accused me of doing this to her to take her dog from her. Trust me, I didn't want this dog.

Since this time, she's been in the hospital and back to the skilled nursing facility again. She's eating better. She has worn us all out. Another brother found an assisted living facility near him that she can better afford and that will be better suited for her. She goes Monday, a two hour drive away from me. I keep the yappy dog. She's growing on me.

I'm tired. I'm empty. And during all this, taking care of Bird's needs. The new 504 plan for high school. I finally heard back from Stanford and have sent them all her pertinent medical info. Now, we wait to hear if she gets in or not.

Meanwhile, one of my lovely nieces was married earlier this month. It was beautiful and a wonderful day. Well, except for my mother refusing to go to the wedding then calling later and yelling at me because no one came to pick her up and she'd been ready all day long and the 45 minute drive each way to get her for the reception and being berated the whole way home. But, while she was at the reception, she was fine and had a good time. It was good to see her "there".

The other day the insurance company called to tell me all about a new "free" service (with the premiums and copays I pay now, I don't really think its free). This service is a case manager for complicated or chronic medical conditions. I told this very nice lady that I needed it Jan of last year...someone to hold my hand as I started on this Turner journey with my daughter. I mentioned in passing about the issues with my mother. This very nice lady told me about the mental health services available on our health insurance plan. I don't need that. I need some wine. I think I'll head over to Laundress Sue's house.

2 comments:

{sue} said...

OMG, I'm pouring you a glass of chardonnay, woman!

I can't imagine all that you are dealing with. I have less than half of all that and it just kills me some days.

It is SO hard to watch your mother age, especially when she's abusive and angry and can't help it. But it doesn't make it any less abusive.

I hope the new assisted living facility works better. And since you are two hours away, maybe your burden will be a little less. You need a break.

Because I know having a child with special needs is hard enough! Especially with school starting.

Sending along a virtual hug along with this giant wineglass!

TooOldForThis said...

Thanks! I needed that. :)

Post a Comment