RSS

Friday, February 19, 2010

And hit me in the head...

I was at work the day I got the news. I sat in my car to call the doctor. I immediately began taking notes, figuring out what I needed to do next. Bird was 13. We needed to have a bone age xray to determine if there was still time for growth hormone to work. An endocrinologist experienced in Turner Syndrome. She needed a cardiac workup to check for coarctation of the aorta and to check for any other potential issues that had been heretofore missed. A geneticist appointment. My mind was reeling.

I hung up from the doctor and the tears burst forth...for about ten seconds. I sucked it up and started making the calls I needed to make. I called the local children's hospital (where I was referred to) and was quoted an appointment in April. I was flabbergasted. I am sitting in my car, in the cold in January and the experts can't see my daughter until April. I called the pediatrician back. Fortunately, she knew of another doctor. I called the office and was able to get her in within just a couple of weeks. I called my ex-husband, Bird's father to fill him in. Bird's stepmother made the comment that it wasn't like she had "real" Turner Syndrome...she didn't have a webbed neck. My ex-husband wasn't able to make it to the first endocrinologist appointment...he had to help his wife take her mother somewhere that day.

I went back into work. I functioned. I made another call from my desk to make the geneticist appointment. I was quoted a date sometime in September. Per orders, I called back the pediatrician and reported it. She took that fight on.

The cardiology appt was easy to schedule.

When all was said and done, I had the appointments ready to go.

Endocrinologist - Jan 20
Geneticist - Jan 29
Cardiologist - Feb 2

There was no time to process, no time to accept, no time to grieve, no time to worry. I couldn't show Bird my anxiety. I was filled with fear for her future but had to shove it into a deep closet, lock and bar the door, and then pile various issues in front of it to keep it from escaping.

I didn't like this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment